Fire Services conducts building and facilities inspections once a year, concentrating on building evacuation plans, emergency exit lighting and clear passageways. Additionally, room occupancy and fire safety issues are included in this scope of work. Fire inspection reports are addressed to the vice chancellors associated with the buildings that house their respective academic deans, chairs and building mayors. The discrepancies will be reinspected.
Fire safety inspections are carried out and reports are maintained in accordance with the current International Fire Code and the National Fire Protection Association codes. Copies of these reports are sent to the state fire marshal.
Fire drills and fire safety inspections are conducted once per semester for each dormitory in coordination with the director of housing or his/her representative. Fire drills and fire safety inspections are conducted once per semester for each on-campus Greek house.
Event inspections in university auditoriums and athletics facilities are conducted either by event or a scheduled facility inspection.
The following types of fire drills and safety programs are offered in the fire safety area:
- Live evacuation fire drills for dormitories
- Live evacuation fire drills for Greek houses
- Fire and severe weather evacuation rules and procedures for the campus community
- Fire safety training for freshman chemistry classes
- Fire safety training for commercial cooking classes
- Fire safety training by UM Fire Services and the Oxford Fire Department for Student Housing’s RAs
- Fire safety training by UM Fire Services and the Oxford Fire Department for the leadership of Greek organizations